The coalition government of Congress and JDS will have a lot of answering to do in the next few days. The government has been rocked by not one but two major alleged scams.
The first is the IMA jewels scam and now it is a scam involving the Power sector.
THE POWER SECTOR SCAM
- Nearly 3000 crore contract was awarded to a company that was blacklisted by the Madhya Pradesh government.
- More shockingly this issue of KEC International Ltd being blacklisted was raised in internal meetings.
- Objections were not just ignored but the official who flagged it was shunted out of the office.
- Currently HD Kumarswamy holds the power minister portfolio and is the chairman of KPTCL which has awarded these contracts.
- KEC International Ltd was blacklisted in 2013, moved court that stayed the blacklisting in 2015 but in 2017 the court again vacated the stay that meant the Blacklist remains.
- KEC International Ltd however even went ahead and applied for tender claiming they haven’t been blacklisted in the last 5 years